TECHSTAFF - Password Reset
Posted by Peter San on 08 November 2010 05:00 PM
Subject: A guide to Blackboard and Angel password reset procedures.
Author: CTDLC Support
Product: Blackboard (all versions)
Question: How do I reset a password on Blackboard/Angel?
1. Greet the caller. Gather the required information given (name, phone, institution, problem, etc.)
2. Check if they have an active account on the Blackboard or Angel system for their institution. Verify that their account is active and when their classes start (this will determine when they can see their Blackboard accounts).
3. Ask the caller what username and password that they are using, as well as if they are using '.edu' at the end.
4. Recreate the issue. Ask permission to log in using their account. Tell them if you were able to successfully log in. This will verify it is a system error or a typo.
5. Ask them to clear their cache. If they do not know how to do this, the following article will help: http://esupport.ctdlc.org/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=124&nav=0,2
6. Check Firewalls. If their system is too protected, it might present an issue for logging in.
7. Inform the caller of the forgot password option and ask if they have tried it. You may need to guide the caller to the "Forget password?" link, located under the password entry boxes in the login box.
To use this option, the caller will need the following:
If the user is unable to change their password, you will be able to change it for them. But first ask questions to verify that they are who they say they are (e.g. date of birth, mailing address, classes enrolled etc.). After verified, change the password to "password". Make sure they enter it in all lowercase letters when they try to login again.